With some subjects it is possible to begin tutoring sessions right away. Some subjects might require an assessment before the actual tutoring begins. If a short assessment is needed then the teacher will go to the client’s home to find out what the student’s needs are. The client will pay the tutor half of the hourly rate. The tutor is required to stay at the client’s home for approximately 30 minutes for this assessment.
Tutoring Sessions and Expectations
The tutor will:
- Attend a ‘School is Easy’ teacher orientation before being introduced to a client.
- Always be on time, dress neatly, be clean and have fresh breath.
- Tutor in a location that is visible to the rest of the family or the public.
- Turn off their cell phones during their tutoring sessions.
- Call ‘School is Easy’ if the student is disrespectful or has poor work habits. Speak to the parent immediately.
- Be prepared for each lesson. Provide appropriate materials according to the student’s level and learning style. Review previous lesson and test the student’s progress regularly.
- Assist students with grammar and writing techniques for assignments. Teachers will help edit through teaching students their mistakes and how to overcome them.
- Contact the client directly and immediately when the tutor is sick or unable to go to their scheduled tutoring session.
- Keep ‘School is Easy’ up to date on availability. If you are going to move away or will be unavailable for an extended period of time please email us. You’re always welcome back as a representative of ‘School is Easy’.
All tutors must attend a teacher orientation and sign the tutor agreement to become active with ‘School is Easy’.
Tutors for ‘School is Easy’ are independent contractors. Tutors will not receive T4 slips. There will be no Employment Insurance deductions or Canada Pension Plan Deductions. Therefore teachers cannot receive EI of CPP benefits from the work done through ‘School is Easy’. Tutors are responsible for reporting their tutoring income. Independent contractors are permitted certain write offs. See Canada Revenue agency independent contractor page www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/slprtnr/bsnssxpnss/menu-eng.html
The tutor who is working for ‘School is Easy’ can certainly have clients that they have found on their own.
Any clients introduced to the teacher through ‘School is Easy’ belong to ‘School is Easy’. If for any reason, the teacher quits ‘School is Easy’ they must quit tutoring any ’School is Easy’ clients. They cannot tutor that client for 2 years after their termination with ‘School is Easy’. Sometimes the client will ask the teacher to work directly for them and suggest they both quit ‘School is Easy’. It is the teacher who must act professional by explaining that they work on contract with ‘School is Easy’.
If a tutor goes into the home of a ‘School is Easy’ client and the client refers the teacher to their friends or family members then the tutor must state that they work for ‘School is Easy’ and the tutoring sessions must go through ‘School is Easy’. Please call ‘School is Easy’ immediately. There is a penalty for non reporting. See teacher’s handbook for more details. Your honesty and integrity is always rewarded by the trust you gain with ‘School is Easy’.