6 Reasons English tutoring can make kids better people, not just better students
We know why a professional English tutor is often a better choice than getting the help of a smart friend. But that brings us to the next big question — why bother investing so much in learning English properly? Here’s why:
- English is the foundation of good communication skills. Everyone needs to be able to write and speak articulately in order to succeed. A scientist needs to write detailed reports to publish results and secure funding. A mechanic needs to clearly explain to customers what is wrong with a car in order to justify the bill. A salesman needs to be articulate in order to persuade people to buy something. Business owners need to communicate effectively with their employees in order to run a corporation. People being interviewed for jobs need to explain why they’re a good fit for the company.These are just some of the many reasons why developing good English skills is a necessity. Good English means good communication which means improved human relationships which means a more fulfilling life.
- The better you communicate, the more you are worth to employers. The more proficient you are at speaking and writing, the more valuable you are in your career! Here’s one telling example — Warren Buffet said he would be willing to raise his investment in a person by 50 per cent if he or she was a good communicator. And read this quote about the organized mind of a good writer:
Good writing skills are an indicator of an organized mind which is capable of arranging information and argument in a systematic fashion and also helping (not making) other people understand things. It spills over into code, personal communications, instant messaging (for those long-distance collaborations), and even such esoteric concepts as professionalism and reliability. —Dustin J. Mitchell, developer (from Signal vs. Noise)
- Good language skills leave a better impression. Would you hire a person who could not follow instructions or communicate? Would you go on a date with someone who couldn’t understand what you were saying? Would you befriend someone with whom you could not hold a conversation? And wouldn’t it be embarrassing if a famous singer wrote a hit song about irony, with no irony in it? Well, that has happened. These are just a few examples of why being good with English is not a luxury — it’s a necessity! For better or worse, success in life — whether it be socially, romantically or professionally — is related to how well you get along with people. And the cornerstone to navigating any social setting is good communication.
- English literature makes you smarter. Research suggests Shakespeare’s flowery language is good for more than impressing your cultured friends. It engages parts of your brain which aren’t normally activated by everyday speech. Scientists say this could improve brain ability.
- Good English can change the world. Need proof? Simply Google ‘famous quotes’ and you’ll find many examples of how good communication made a huge impact on our society and history. Imagine if former U.S. President Abraham Lincoln was not able to articulate the Gettysburg Address (some of the most powerful words recorded in history). What would North America’s borders look like today? Would slavery still exist?Do our children understand how labelling in languages affects the world? The right words at the right time can change the way society sees itself, and what it agrees to be permissible. Think of the word ‘communist’ in the 50s and 60s. Think about the words ‘negro’, ‘Jew’ or ‘fag’ in history. Our children need to understand that words are extremely powerful and can be devastatingly harmful. Or, they can empower people to do great things.
- English can heal. Yes, this is also a literal statement. It has been clinically proven that writing about your experiences can have lasting therapeutic effects. Among these benefits is a boost to the immune system (did you read, ‘The Book Thief’?). There are countless stories of how the written and spoken word can serve as a powerful outlet for self expression. Many people have discussed how writing or talking has helped them heal from troubling experiences. Need examples? Just listen to the lyrics of your favourite songs. Recite lines from your favourite movies. Read your favourite books. YouTube your favourite speech.
We could go on for a long time, but these are just some of the reasons why your child should be improving their English skills with a private tutor.
How do you know if your child needs professional English tutoring help?
We know that hiring an English tutor, no matter what tutoring agency or tutoring franchise you go with, is a decision that requires a lot of deliberation beforehand. So we figured we could offer some pointers that could help you decide if English tutoring will work for your child.
- Introverted children often find a voice in the written word. Kids who are shy tend to be comfortable with writing more so than with speaking. And because the proper mechanics of English are emphasized more in the written word than in everyday conversation, professional English instruction may be more beneficial to introverted children.
- Writing is therapeutic for children who are dealing with emotional distress. As we mentioned earlier, writing about personal experiences has been clinically proven to help people deal with emotional problems. If your children are going through a rough patch, learning how to write may help get them through it.
- If your children are frustrated in social situations, it can mean they need help developing communication skills. Does talking with others make your kids upset? One reason may be that they lack the tools to express themselves properly. This can result in misunderstandings and all sorts of unpleasant social interactions. English tutoring can help them speak and write articulately. This means they will have an easier time getting along with people.
So take these facts into consideration. Observe your children and what makes them tick. If you think your child could benefit from better communication, you might want to consider hiring an English tutor with School is Easy.
Are you looking for tutoring franchise ownership possibilities in Canada and the U.S.A? Click below!