4 reasons why hiring an ESL tutor will help students succeed in Canada’s schools and workplaces
Without a good grasp of the English language, it’s hard to get good grades in school. And getting jobs that require a lot of responsibility can be tough if your English skills aren’t refined. Here are some reasons why ESL tutoring can help your child.
- ESL tutoring can help with future post-secondary opportunities. Most universities and colleges in Canada require proficient English skills. For example, most of the University of British Columbia’s programs have made it mandatory for students to take the Language Proficiency Index known as the LPI exam. This test is used to evaluate whether a student can enter English 100 (a requirement for most faculties). If a student scores low on the LPI they will be required to take an English prerequisite before entering into English 100.
- English is a must for international business. The biggest multinational corporations often use English in their day-to-day affairs. Conference calls, presentations, meetings, negotiations and reports tend to be conducted in English. Why? Because they are catering to clients across the world. In many countries, English is the language used to communicate with foreigners.
- You need English to get employed in North America. In North America, almost all business communication is done via English. Generally speaking, if you can’t speak English, it will be very hard to find any kind of employment in the country.
- English is the most common official language among countries across the world. There are also about 508 million speakers in the world, making it the second most commonly spoken language.
3 points to help you know if a student needs private ESL tutoring in Vancouver
Hiring an in-home ESL tutor in Vancouver isn’t a decision to take lightly. You’re going to need to consider this carefully. So we figured we’d provide some pointers to get you started.
- If students have become socially withdrawn, it could mean they are having trouble talking to others. Are your kids more quiet than usual? This often happens to immigrant or homestay students in the Vancouver area who haven’t mastered English yet. It can be very difficult for them to keep up with the rapid pace of everyday conversation. Expressing yourself accurately in a new language can be a great challenge. A private ESL tutor can help address these problems. An at-home ESL tutor can find your child’s interests and bring in lesson plans to get them talking and engaging in conversation.
- Is a student struggling with subjects in school? If students aren’t doing so well in their classes, it can be a sign they are having English comprehension problems.
- Are students showing signs of communication problems? Do they have trouble following directions? Is it hard to co-ordinate big details like deadlines and workflow? Are they finding themselves ‘on the wrong page’ a lot of the time? These are obvious signs that your child’s English language comprehension is suffering.
So take notes. Ask yourself if the above points apply to your child. If so, ESL tutoring is a ‘must’ if you want your child to be successful.
You might be a qualified franchisee for a tutoring agency in your area! Click the link below to learn more.