Graduation gifts can be a perfect opportunity to congratulate the graduate and help support them for the next step of their lives. Cash is a nice graduation gift especially when it is intended to go toward a college fund or future career. Sometimes, however cash gets used for pure entertainment rather than being put toward future learning. Here are some ideas for graduation gifts that will hopefully encourage and promote more learning post graduation.
Graduation gifts for readers:
1. Biographies of persons that the graduate has an interest in make thoughtful graduation gifts. As do inspirational books about entrepreneurs, well known scholars and life-long learners.
2. Books related to topics of future study. If a student is planning to study a foreign language or study abroad you could purchase them a book written in that foreign language. A language dictionary would also be very useful and appreciated.
Graduation gifts for high school graduates:
3. Gift certificate to a University bookstore or amazon.com. Tuition is not the only financial burden on students. They also often have to spend quite a large sum on required books and course materials. Your gift can help them cover these costs so they don’t have to stress about finances and they can focus on their education.
4. A laptop or gift card for an electronics store is a generous gift for students going off to University. You should specify that the gift card is specifically for an electronic device that can be used for learning purposes (not entertainment). An e-reader would be a nice gift especially since students are beginning to buy digital textbooks.
Gifts that promote learning new skills
5. Gift certificate for summer tutoring sessions are a great gift that can be used to prepare the graduate for the next step in life. Whether it is tutoring for upcoming courses or reviewing old topics that need additional study, tutoring is a valuable gift.
6. A gift certificate for music, dance or language lessons may give the graduate an opportunity to learn something new. For the serious students who haven’t had a chance to tap into their creative side taking more artistic classes could be a fun experience. Plus, using both sides of the brain is important!
All of these graduation gifts can be customized to the particular graduate depending on their interests and future goals. Helping a graduate continue their education is the greatest gift that can be given.
A popular Dr. Seuss book that is commonly given as a graduation gift is “Oh the Places You’ll Go”. It emphasizes that graduation is just the beginning of a life that will lead to many new places and experiences with opportunities for future learning, some inevitable failures and wonderful accomplishments. You can help the graduates in your life along their way to success by giving them a graduation gift that encourages continued learning.