Our tutoring agency is available to provide special education and autism tutors in Markham, Richmond Hill and Whitchurch-Stouffville, Ontario. We drive to your location to provide in-home tutoring that is tailored to the needs of students with learning difficulties or neurodiverse conditions. These can range from Autism, to Dyslexia, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) and more.
We believe our tutors are also the best Markham tutors of their kind, in that they possess one, or more of the following qualifications:
- Ontario Federation of Independent Schools certification
- Membership with the Ontario College of Teachers
- Master’s degree and teaching experience
In the case of special education tutoring, they are also experienced or trained in the process and background of helping someone with a learning difficulty.
See the difference a qualified special education tutor can do for you
Being trained to do the job of special education or autism tutoring is important, because it can mean the difference between ‘breaking through’ versus just ‘helping out.’ This is not to say that all the help a student can get is needed (in any scenario – learning difficulty or not).
Trained instructors working in a one-on-one tutoring session, however, are especially skilled at being able to teach a subject, and not just know about it. When it comes to special education tutoring, another layer of complexity is added to the mix; the tutor must know how to teach in a way that suits the individual needs of the student, based on a comprehensive understanding of their specific condition. They need to know how the child learns, and not just the aspects that prevent the child from learning the way others do.
It may sound obvious to some, but you just can’t teach an autistic student the same way you’d teach a dyslexic student, or one with ADHD, Aphasia, or sensory processing issues (to name only a few).
A tutor also needs to understand that these students are not ‘dumb’ or ‘lazy’ when they don’t understand a concept; in fact they often have very high IQs. They process information in a different way. These students need the right kind of instruction to help them reach their potential.
Use a special education tutor who understands the needs of your student’s learning difficulty
Our Markham-area special education tutors come in many forms. Each will have their own personality, experience and style of teaching. We try to match you to the best one for your child. However, you can be sure that they all have in common the understanding that the job of special needs tutoring requires particular demands. These can include:
- Identifying the student’s learning style as it relates to their condition, and using that as a bouncing board for interest-based learning.
- Helping to formulate, or follow an Individual Education Plan (IEP). This needs to happen for an applicable Identification, Placement, and Review Committee (IPRC) in an Ontario school program when your child is identified as having a learning difficulty. Tutoring thereafter involves knowing school curriculum requirements, and how to make, or suggest modifications to the IEP on an ongoing basis.
- Adapting to, and learning to incorporate assistive technologies to help a student with learning difficulties. This way, they can continue their studies when the tutor is not present.
- Recognizing when enough is enough, and the student needs a break. Being a special needs student is overwhelming, and the tutor needs to know what the child’s coping mechanisms are, so they can be employed during tutoring.
- Being able to separate behavioural issues from learning issues. While these may be related, a trained special ed tutor usually knows when the setback is because of a true learning difficulty, or a lack of interest, current emotion, irritability or otherwise.
Our Markham special needs tutors are ready to serve you with at-home lessons!
If you’re not sure you need a special education tutor, or if we’re the right fit for you, don’t worry; we are happy to discuss your child’s case over the phone. We also offer a 1st-lesson money-back guarantee, if you’re not happy. Give us a call, or book your tutor online today. We’ll try to match you with a tutor within 48 hours.